Childhood Trauma Psychologist in Sydney
Experiencing childhood sexual, physical or verbal abuse and childhood neglect can affect us in many areas of our adult lives.
- Those of us who have been abused or neglected as children will often experience:
- Increased rates of depression and anxiety.
- Increased rates of alcohol & other drug use and risk taking behaviour.
- Increased abusive relationships as an adult.
- Increased feelings of shame, guilt, fear, mistrust, rejection and of being unlovable.
- Difficulty in managing strong emotions, mood swings, and emotional outbursts.
- Relationship difficulties and poor relationship skills.
- Low self esteem and self confidence.
- Identity difficulties - not really knowing who we are.
- Experiences of numbing or dissociation.
- Fear around starting our own family.
- Feelings of hopelessness for the future.
Psychological therapy will help you work through your early experiences and uncover their negative impact on your present-day thoughts and reactions. We will help you develop a healthy self-esteem, learn how to better care for yourself and learn how to form the relationships and behaviour patterns that will give you happiness and satisfaction.